Tuesday, June 29, 2010

India: Nalini Moved From Vellore

From the Times of India:
A fortnight after stepping into her 20th year of incarceration, Nalini Sriharan, serving life sentence in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, was shifted from Vellore to the Central Prison for Women at Puzhal in Chennai. She thanked Tamil Nadu CM M Karunanidhi and additional director-general of prisons Shyam Sundar for the gesture.

"I was not transferred out when I was facing troubles in Vellore. Now, I've been shifted when I neither needed it nor expected it. Anyway, I thank the CM and the ADGP for their kind gesture. I hope they will show similar indulgence in the matter of my premature release," she was quoted as saying by her advocate P Pugalenthi, who called on her after she was lodged in Puzhal prison on Monday. Recently, Nalini had complained that the Vellore prison authorities were mistreating her.
Note: Nalini Sriharan, serving a life term for her role in the assassination of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi. Nalini was sentenced to death by a special court for her involvement in Gandhi's assassination at Sriperumbudur near Chennai May 21, 1991. The sentence was commuted to life imprisonment after Sonia Gandhi petitioned for clemency for the sake of Nalini's daughter.

No comments: